For the good of us all.
At the Community Foundation for Oceana County (CFOC), we collaborate with donors, grantees, advisors, and individuals to identify issues that are important to our communities. By bringing people together around a common mission and creating links between resources and your vision for the future, we help to ensure that our communities remain vital and strong.
Every year, we award grants and scholarships that benefit students, youth, education, the arts, community development, the environment, health and human services, and emerging community needs. Projects we’ve supported, such as the reconstruction of the William Field Memorial Hart-Montague Trail, the inclusion of the Be Nice suicide prevention and mental health program in all of our schools, and the Oceana CAN! program to improve college and career readiness for our youth, continue to enhance life throughout Oceana County.
In 2018 we developed a 3-year strategic plan with a strong focus on Oceana’s broad challenges – such as poverty, low education attainment, scarcity of skilled workers and housing. As part of that plan, the Board of Directors identified strategies to effect positive community change in the future, including expanding our presence and impact in the community. The board also acknowledged that we had reached a milestone, an asset level of more than $13 million in 2019, capable of creating an independent foundation. In October 2019, the IRS approved us as an independent nonprofit.
For 30 years, we operated as an affiliate foundation under the Community Foundation for Muskegon County. As of January 1, 2020, we began operations as an independent community foundation and all funds held at the Community Foundation for Muskegon County for the Oceana Foundation will transfer over in late January. We are grateful to have reached this 30-year milestone and for the partnership with donors, nonprofits and the community overall!
We’re Part of the Community We Serve
As residents of the broader Oceana County community, our Board members and staff have knowledge, understanding, and insight into our community and its concerns. Highly engaged as residents and volunteers, they guide the work of the Foundation and serve in leadership roles in community organizations.
The Generosity of Our Donors
Our work is only possible because of generous donors who share our love for this community. Whether it’s an unexpected bequest or a small, year-end donation, every gift makes a difference. By carefully investing these gifts for growth, we’re able to continue making grants that provide a lasting, positive impact on our community.
Your donor information is highly confidential. We will not share donor names, addresses or fund-related financial information with any individual or organization without express permission from donors.
The Community Foundation for Oceana County exists to enhance the lives of the people of Oceana County by leading, promoting and channeling philanthropy to connect resources with needs.
The Community Foundation for Oceana County envisions a community where everyone has access to resources to thrive.
The Community Foundation for Oceana County leads the philanthropic environment of the area, inspiring contributions from donors, delivering exceptional service and being an active participant in seeking solutions to real-life problems. We work to create a place whereby our citizens live and thrive in a vibrant community with abundant resources.
- Economic and Social Resources
- A strong and stable foundation, with robust economic and workforce development, sustained growth, investment in long-term solutions to social concerns and increased assets for all.
- Educational Resources
- Equal access to educational resources that enable and inspire students of all ages to excel in ways that nurture their individual talents and skills.
- Health and Health Care Resources
- Equal access to quality physical and mental health care, with investments in long-term solutions.
- Natural Resources
- Equal access to high-quality parks, trails and water features, and sustained investment in creating and conserving/preserving natural spaces.
- Arts & Culture Resources
- Active participation in abundant and diverse arts and cultural opportunities.
2019 Community Foundation for Oceana County highlights include:
- $1.3 million in gifts and grants received including $181,000 in bequest gifts
- A record number of grants awarded totaling $693,215
- 217 scholarships awarded totaling $230,638 including renewal awards
- 121 new donors
- 37 people honored or memorialized with gifts to the Foundation
- 12 new Named Funds for a total of 168 funds
- $14.1 Million in total assets
If you're a high school senior, current college student, early college senior, or nontraditional student we may have a scholarship for you!Learn More
All grant applications must be submitted electronically via our online application, eGrant.Learn More
Every gift makes a difference.
Where and how is up to you.