Back to News

Community Foundation Announces 2021 Scholarship Awards

June 14, 2021 

Congratulations to Oceana County’s most recent graduates! Despite facing uncertainty, they have worked hard to continue their education and have fearlessly adapted to change. In partnership with many donors, the Community Foundation for Oceana County is pleased to offer financial support for area student’s pursuit of higher education.

The Foundation’s 2021 Scholarship Program has awarded 220 scholarships to local students, investing $239,650 into our community’s future! 157 students are receiving awards this year, up from 138 in 2020.  Of this year’s awards, 55% go to graduating seniors, while the remaining 45% were awarded to current college students and adult learners.  This year’s scholarship awards surpass last year’s numbers, providing not only more financial support, but to a greater number of students as well.  “It is always a rewarding time of the year. We have the pleasure of supporting students in whatever path they may choose – whether an adult returning to school, a high school student entering an apprenticeship or a current college student who needs support in their senior year to complete their program,” explained Foundation Program Officer Danielle Seigel.

The 43 scholarship funds are made possible by a mix of individuals, couples, families, clubs, and schools, held and managed by the Foundation.  In 2021, the Foundation added the Clarence Metzler Memorial Hart Band Scholarship Fund to its family of scholarship funds. Established by former Hart band students, Jim Stover and Karen Trommater Stover, this scholarship fund is a celebration of band students and honors a teacher’s legacy.

Mr. Metzler served as Hart’s band director from 1948 until his retirement in 1986. During his tenure, he built the band into a regional powerhouse earning numerous awards at District and State band competitions, as well as participating in band days at Michigan State University and Detroit Lions football games. The first scholarship is awarded to a band member based upon need and demonstrated leadership. The impact of individuals like Mr. Metzler shapes future generations through the music they cherish and the lives they’ve positively impacted for the better.

For more information about making a gift, now or through an estate plan, creating a named fund at the Foundation, or to learn more about the upcoming new Complete Your Degree scholarship program, call Tammy Carey at 231-869-3377. To see the full list of 2021 scholarship recipients, visit https://oceanafoundation.org/scholarships/recent-scholarship-recipients/.